Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Texas Clay Festival

5 Stars





...otherwise known as the Greune Pottery Festival to me.

This is one of the first festivals I went to after moving back to Austin.  Greune is a quaint little town just outside of New Braunfels.  It's about an hours drive south of Austin.  The Texas Clay Festival occurs every October and it's FREE.  The weather has cooled off a bit by this time of the year and it seems that everyone is looking for opportunities to spend time outside.  This festival is filled with original art work.  Some pieces are functional serving dishes and other pieces are simply art.  One of my favorite artists is Mary Fischer.  She makes miniature houses that look like they are made from pieces of metal.  I want one, but they're pricey.


Cups from TX Clay Festival
Every year I buy at least one piece.  The first year I bought a cup that we used as a toothbrush holder in my kids bathroom.  We also found a planter that we use to store napkins on our kitchen table.  The second year, I bought cups for my bathroom.  I also bought a small bowl to collect my husband's cherry tomatoes from his garden.  The kids found a pumpkin they liked and it's become one of our annual Halloween decorations.  This year, I'm going to be on the lookout for a platter to hold 3-4 large candles...and maybe one of Mary's houses.  


There are a few demonstration areas on the festival grounds.
Napkin Holder
 There's one where kids can mold clay and another that demonstrates the art of firing or painting and things like that.  The festival is situated in the heart of downtown Gruene.  We eat lunch at the
Gristmill before or after shopping for pottery.  If we've got the energy, we also walk through the local shops and always make a stop at the Gruene Toy Store.  The kids never fail to find a toy they can't live without.  The store carries items that you won't likely find in other toy stores.  We usually end the day with an ice cream or smoothie from the shop near the toy store before making the drive home.  And if we've still got any energy left after all of the shopping and walking and eating, we'll make a stop at Buc-ees on I35 right outside of town.  Ah...Buc-eeeeeeeee's...that deserves it's own post!

2 comments:

  1. Love your new blog! Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christa, you are so creative and I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete