Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Willie Nelson Concert


Willie Nelson's 81st Birthday Concert at The Backyard

I finally got to see Willie Nelson perform on April 29, 2014. It was his annual birthday concert at The Backyard. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm a Texan and you have to see Willie perform at least once if you consider yourself a real Texan. As much as I was looking forward to this concert (for many many years), I was a little disappointed. After all...the man is 81. His better days are behind him. But, he played all of his classics and did better than I think I'd do at 81. He sort of said the lyrics more than sang them, but he can still play that guitar. His band members were equally as old, including his sister on the piano. The youngest band member was the guitarist pictured to the the right of him above. But, you could tell he really didn't want to be there. I'm fairly certain he was drunk or stoned or both. I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was a cool April evening outside and the warmup band (The Peterson Brothers) was truly amazing. Surprisingly, the Peterson Brothers was the highlight of the evening for me. 

If you get the opportunity to attend an event at The Backyard, I'd recommend going. But, avoid the hot summer months if you can. It's a totally outside venue and can get really hot. Reserved folding chair seats are worth the extra money. You get a better view and are generally more comfortable. However, if you're there more to socialize, drink and people watch, bring a blanket and hangout on the grassy lawn. Either way, you'll enjoy what Texas has to offer on a clear night outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment